When it comes to our monthly period care routine, many of us reach for the same supermarket period products, tossing them into our shopping trolley without giving them a second thought. But did you know that most mainstream period products contain plastic, chemicals and other synthetic materials that can be harmful to our health, and the health of our planet? Luckily for menstruating women everywhere, it turns out there is a better way – &SISTERS offers a body and planet-friendly eco-app tampon, made from smooth, biodegradable cardboard and 100% organic cotton.
Plastic versus cardboard applicators
If you’re a woman who has or has had a period, chances are you’ve tried a tampon with a plastic applicator. Mainstream brands tout them for their smooth, ‘pearl-like’ texture, but we now know that single-use plastics take a toll on our environment, and many of us are taking steps to cut back. Enter cardboard applicators – not only do they allow for gentle insertion, but they’re also completely biodegradable, reducing your carbon footprint with each menstrual period.
How &SISTERS eco-app tampons are different
We’ve all seen the harrowing Instagram photos of plastic tampon applicators washing ashore from our oceans, but it’s not just applicators that are an environmental issue. Many mainstream tampons contain plastic and other non-biodegradable fibres, and unlike most mainstream period products, our eco-app tampons are made from nothing but pure, natural biodegradable ingredients. The tapered applicator is made using cardboard, and the tampon is made using nothing but pure, natural 100% organic cotton.
How to insert &SISTERS eco-app tampons
If you’re new to cardboard applicator tampons, insertion can be tricky at first, but if you stick with it, insertion will become second nature – and your body and planet will thank you! Follow these five easy steps to best insert your eco-app tampon:
1. Choose a tampon that suits your flow, and always remember to choose the lowest absorbency to suit your needs (most women find their flow is heaviest in the first few days). Refer to our chart below for guidance:
2. Once you have your tampon ready, get into a comfortable position. Try standing with your knees slightly bent, or putting one foot on your bathtub to allow your muscles to relax.
3. Grab hold of your eco-app tampon, placing your fingers on the ridged area at the base of the applicator.
4. Insert the tampon into your vagina (angling up and slightly toward the small of your back), and push the inner tube up into the outer tube. You might notice some resistance at first due to the crimping of the cardboard – this is normal. Remember to relax and apply gentle pressure until the tampon is fully inserted into the vagina.
5. Once inserted, remove the applicator, wash your hands and go about your day!